For 2011 Suzuki has taken the reigning FIM/AMA Supercross Championship winning RM-Z450, and have fine-tuned it into an even more potent machine. The 2011 RM-Z450 has undergone numerous updates: it now meets a stricter AMA noise limit (94db) while keeping smooth engine output; the compression ration has been increased from 12.2:1 up to 12.5:1 for higher output; intake and exhaust timing has been changed for better engine feeling with lower noise output; and ECU settings have been updated for more linear acceleration and improved over-rev. In addition, Suzuki has also focused on making tuning and maintenance easier on the 2011 RM-Z450; two optional couplers come with the unit to change the EFI setting (richer and leaner), and a convenient fuel line cap is included for regular maintenance.
What you have with the 2011 RM-Z450 is a cutting-edge open-class motocross ride that’s more potent than ever. As a racer, you want quick, laser-accurate steering and confidence-inspiring high-speed handling in one package. And you want a high performance machine with a racing pedigree that enables it to be competitive right out of the crate. Here in the U.S. and around the globe, the RM-Z450 has helped racers collect wins and trophies, fiercely competing in venues from the World MX1 series to America’s AMA Supercross championship. It’s no secret that Champions Choose Suzuki!
• For 2011, the RM-Z450 meets stricter AMA noise limit (94db) while keeping smooth engine output.
• Suzuki’s class-leading fuel-injection system uses technology from Suzuki’s championship-winning models-the GSX-R motorcycles and the QuadRacer R450 ATV. The RM-Z450, the first motocross bike to ever use fuel injection, has won both outdoor championships as well as a Supercross championship.
• The RM-Z450′s 449cc four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve, fuel-injected engine was developed and refined to deliver phenomenal idle-to-redline thrust.
• The lightweight, battery-less, motocross-use electronic fuel injection system uses progressive throttle linkage for efficient power delivery.
• A 12-hole fuel injector delivers a fine fuel/air mist for efficient operation.
• The RM-Z450′s aluminum cylinder is treated with Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) coating, and was built for durability, light weight and efficient heat transfer.
• A 5-speed transmission provides extra flexibility, offering gear ratios suited for various terrains and conditions.
• The RM-Z450 has a link-type shifting system, which offers smooth transitions through the gears.
• The RM-Z450′s slim chassis design makes for a comfortable riding position, opening up the cockpit to help allow the rider to actively take control of the machine.
• Class-leading 47mm Showa inverted forks provide optimum wheel travel and are compression- and rebound-damping adjustable.
• A Showa piggyback-reservoir rear shock with high/low-speed compression damping adjustment and rebound damping and spring preload adjustments. The rear shock, working through Suzuki’s superlative rising-rate linkage system, provides 310mm of wheel travel, delivering maximum traction.
• The RM-Z450′s twin-spar aluminum frame and swingarm was developed and refined for a highly optimized balance between rigidity and superb high-speed traction. The lightweight swingarm helps enhance terrain-traversing performance over bumps.
• Race-inspired disc rotors offer enhanced cooling performance and efficient mud slinging.
• A stylish two-tone radiator shrouds accentuate the RM-Z450′s agile looks.
• The RM-Z450 comes with a gripper seat, with projected cross-shaped patterns on the top surface to provide additional grip.
Displacement 449cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, single cylinder, DOHC
Fuel System Suzuki fuel injection
Starter Primary kick
Ignition Electronic ignition (CDI)
Overall Length 2190 mm (86.2 in)
Overall Width 830 mm (32.7 in)
Wheelbase 1495 mm (58.9 in)
Ground Clearance 325 mm (12.8 in)
Seat Height 955 mm (37.6 in)
Curb Weight 113 kg (249 lbs)
Transmission 5-speed constant mesh
Final Drive Chain, DID520MXV4, 114 links
Suspension Front Telescopic inverted, coil spring, oil damped
Suspension Rear Swingarm, link type, coil spring, oil damped
Brakes Front Disc brake
Brakes Rear Disc brake
Tires Front 80/100-21 51M, tube type
Tires Rear 110/90-19 62M, tube type
Fuel Tank Capacity 6.2 L (1.6 US gallons)
For more discussion on Suzuki Motorcycles go to link